Ideas for the forum

Go down

Ideas for the forum

Post by adjman on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Please feel free to post ideas in here about categories, forums or anything else you would like the forum to do or have and we will consider adding them to the site
adjman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ideas for the forum

Post by andyc on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi. I just found this forum and have to say it's an excellent idea. However can i just make one major suggestion? I think there are far too many categories and sub-forums to post in. Checking them all for new posts would be a nightmare and I think many of them will see little or no traffic. It also means many visitors could miss new posts that are hidden away in a category they haven't looked at.

That's my only sugegstion for now. Just a bit of pruning. Apart from that, it's a brilliant idea!

Andy.

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adjman on Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks Andy, yes I think we might prune things down a little and get rid of some categories and forums
adjman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brymac on Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Yes - I agree! I've only just joined, and know that the forum is very new (and most welcome if, like me you are setting up a new RC!!). But I think you will be lucky to populate all those sub forums....!!

Bryan
Coordinator
Chailey Repair Cafe
East Sussex

Brymac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adjman on Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 pm

I've pruned some down now and hopefully it's less complex!
adjman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andyc on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:40 pm

adjman wrote:I've pruned some down now and hopefully it's less complex!

I think it's definitely better. There's nothing worse trhat a forum with so many categories you can't find anything. I'm a member of another forum that's really bad for that.

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:48 pm

My first thought looking at the forum was wow, so many sub categories. There is not yet enough content to fill them and some of the subs could definitely be merged.

The main suggestion I would put forward is the actual repair sub categories, which are the main focus of what we are about, are hidden away at the bottom of the forum. This section should really come directly after the welcome forum. The sections that are related to admin work or running a cafe could be down the bottom as these will be the least used and of no interest to general people that use the cafe forum.

Shane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adjman on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeah, good plan, I've moved them up - It's a tricky balance, have lots of forums and wait for them to fill up or have a few and keep adding as you go - my thinking is it is better to have some existing structure that is useful rather than be adding ad-hoc forums on the fly that get a bit out of control. We'll see how it goes and await more feedback Wink
adjman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andyc on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Too many categories are really bad news because it's easy to lose something by not knowing which one it's in. In that respect just one category would be a lot easier to see all the new posts.

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reuse officer Devon on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Adam, as discussed at the meeting I think an active section would be useful, so you can quickly see what the current topic everyone is discussing.

Great forum btw Very Happy

Reuse officer Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andyc on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Reuse officer Devon wrote:Hi Adam, as discussed at the meeting I think an active section would be useful, so you can quickly see what the current topic everyone is discussing.

I've got to say I don't agree about the 'Active' section. I'm a member of another forum that has just such a section and the problem is I see something new in the active section and maybe even reply to it, but don't notice what category it is actually in. So when it drops out of the 'active' section I can never find it again.

The colour changing icons on the left are all that's needed to see where new material is to be found.

I'd say keep it as simple as possible.

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down