What are the worst items that always seem to be broken?

Go down

What are the worst items that always seem to be broken?

Post by andyc on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:50 pm

As the title says, what items do you continually get at your Repair Cafes that just seem to be a really bad design? Is there a particular brand that's worse than any of the others?

I'll start the ball rolling here with Roberts radios. There was a time when the name of Roberts was supposed to be a good one. But in the last few years their radios, especially the digital (DAB) ones are awful. There's at least one been brought into every Repair Cafe I've been to in the last couple of years. The switches physically break and the software seems to get some kind of over the air update that often bricks the whole unit! They really are garbage!

Another thing we get a ton of are those little stick blenders that seem to have become very popular in recent years. If you're lucky enough to be able to get one apart (they can normally be split around the middle with some effort) you'll find the motor drives a nylon socket which the metal stick of the blender plugs into. Put it in something with a bit of resistance to it (sticky cake mix etc) and the motor tries to spin while the mixer bit stays still. The result is the nylon socket goes from being square or some similar shape to a hollowed out circle, which can't turn the shaft any more. Even if you buy an expensive one, they often still have the same plastic socket inside them, probably made in the same factory that made the parts for the cheapest one. Again they're totally rubbish and my heart sinks whenever I see one.

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the worst items that always seem to be broken?

Post by SkipperGeoff on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 am

We get a lot of table lamps with (mostly) fairly straightforward faults. The ones to watch out for are the though are the older ones which are often metal but unearthed - potentially lethal!
Coffee machines are another common one - usually because they are all furred up, the customer never having de-scaled them.
The ones I dread the most are CD and DVD players because unless there is an obvious fault they are not normally fixable with the resources we have.

SkipperGeoff

View user profile

Back to top Go down