No Repair Cafe for University of Sheffield :-(

Go down

No Repair Cafe for University of Sheffield :-(

Post by andyc on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

I just wanted to share a story of the sort of beaurocracy we are up against when trying to help set up new Repair Cafes.

I was contacted by Sheffield Students Union about the possibility of them hosting regular repair cafes in part of ther large on-campus coffee shop. We had a really good meeting where representatives of the student union and even the coffee shop manager were really keen to get something started. However when they contacted the powers that be at the Uni they told them electrical items would not be allowed to be repaired "in case they exploded!" This has killed the idea stone dead as at least 90-95% of the items we deal with at other venues across Sheffield are electrical. The fact we've been doing this for well over 5 years now without consigning half of South Yorkshire to the bottom of a nuclear crater doesn't seem to count for anything.

Someone at the uni obviously doesn't understand the difference between a toaster and an unexploded bomb!

I hate all things nanny state and I particularly dislike this idea being potentially passed on to the next generation through their channels of education. How do they justify student's fees when they don't even want to give them simple life skills like being able to change a plug?

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No Repair Cafe for University of Sheffield :-(

Post by Evonet on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 am

Hi Andy, I share your pain. We had the same bizarre experience with Cambridge University. The university undertakes some of the most challenging engineering projects there are, and yet won't let us do this. Chris, Cambridge RC Coordinating Group.

Evonet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andyc on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm afraid it's probably all bundled up with the fashion to be over-insured just to get out of bed in a morning.

I still say Repair Cafes shouldn't need ANY insurance etc and here's why...
If you offer a commercial service, for example repairing TVs, then someone coming into your shop and buying a telly might have grounds to claim if they trip over the step or the telly gave them a shock. However, if your neighbour said "can you just come and have a look at my telly, it's on the blink" you'd happily pop round to make sure it was plugged in and maybe change a fuse in the plug, they'd say thanks very much and everyone is happy. Well, in my opinion a Repair Cafe is more like the LATTER and nothing like the former. We don't charge for repairs and it's all done in the name of community spirit.

Unfortunately grumpy TV repair men, who were making a fortune just for turning it off and on again, don't like anyone doing TV repairs for nothing, so they say stuff like "ooohhh, you need a professional to take that screw out. It's not easy to do yourself"

Of course the grumpy repair man is talking absolute cobblers, but unfortunately people believe him. Then there are the get-rich-quick insurance companies who would like to sell us an expensive policy just to walk down our own stairs in a morning! Nobody should EVER go to an insurance company for advice on insurance.

What bugs me about the universities is they are passing on the idea that nobody can do anything unless they've wasted half a decade in said university on a course showing them how to do it, which is probably led by someone who was so bad at doing it that they couldn't get a job in the industry that does it professionally in the first place!

Remember: Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH! Laughing

andyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down